7 Things You Must Know About Dave Koz
Dave Koz is an extraordinary saxophonist, but not everything in his life has been just stepping on the stage. He has achieved achivements, nominations, and even a star on the Walk of Fame!
- After graduating from UCLA, Dave Koz performs his first work with New York composer and multi-instrumentalist Bobby Caldwell, and continues as a session musician with various bands, touring with Jeff Lorber and Richard Marx.
- In 1990, Koz decided to start his solo journey. Koz signs with Capitol Records and publishes Lucky Man, The Dance and Saxophonic. This last album was nominated to the Grammy Awards and the NAACP Image Awards.
- Nine is his number: he has been nominated nine times to the Grammy Awards and has achieved nine No. 1 albums in the Billboard’s list of Contemporary Jazz.
- In 1994, Dave Koz hosts his firs radio program “The Dave Koz Radio Show” in which he introduced new musicians and conducted interviews with leading Jazz Smooth artists. Later on, and for six years, he co-directed “The Dave Koz Morning Show” with Pat Prescott at Los Angeles radio station, 94.7 The Wave, a station specialized in Smooth Jazz.
- In 2002, Koz launched his own record label, “Rendezvous Entertainment,” with radio entrepreneur Frank Cody and veteran music business Hyman Katz.
- Due to a long and recognized career, on September 22, 2009, Koz received a star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Koz has been the global ambassador of the Starlight Children’s Foundation for over twenty years. In search of new ways of helping the organization, in 2009 he founded KOZ Wines. Dave is donating all his proceeds from KOZ Wines to Starlight, which ensures that more families will have access to the programs of the foundation.